' NO GUTS NO GLORY' PHYNO BREAKS DOWN



In this exclusive interview with the NET, the indigenous rapper talks about his debut album, his chemistry between fellow rapper Olamide and more


 Tell us about the inspiration for the song you did with Olamide - ‘Ghost Mode’?

 Before the Ghost Mode track, I’ve done singles like multiply, shutdown and other stuff, Ghost Mode is more or less like a freestyle song between me and Olamide. It was a very good collaboration from two tribes

 Back in the days you started rapping in English, so why the change to the indigenous rap?

 It was an inspiration, I could rap in English and Igbo but I just had to go with the inspiration in me.

 How did you pick the title for your debut album ‘No Guts, No Glory’?

 It is the story of my life in the Music Industry, when you know you are involved with professionals in the game, with the politics in the game. You just need to apply the Guts to get the Glory.

 What is your favorite song from your debut album?

 It took over a stressful year recording my album, so all the tracks in it are my favorite, I’m super crazy about the album.
 Major Bangz produced one of your hit song ‘Parcel.’Tell us about him?.

 Major Bangz is a genius. He knows production, he knows the sound. I’m saying this from a producer’s perspective because I’m a producer as well, [so] for me to allow another producer work on my album, it means I saw something more spectacular in him. Whenever you call on him, he’s ready to produce hit tracks.... 

Phyno performing at Star Music Trek, April 2014. Photo: BHM



Success has its own problems and troubles. How did you feel when you were accused of impregnating a girl and also tagged as gay in a photo with Kcee ?


 (He laughs) To be honest with you I just laughed off those accusations. When the pregnancy accusation came up people were expecting me to explain myself over something I didn’t do. The same thing applied to the photo. That is part of life, because my life [is] entertainment. If all these things don’t happen people won’t have fun on social media. Shout out to all of them, because whenever all these things happen, my followers on social media increases.

 The video for your collaboration with Psquare for the song O’Set was shot in South Africa, immediately after the dispute between the twins. How were you able to bring them together?

 No comment.

 What are you planning on next?

 I’m dropping more visuals on my album and expect more singles soon.

 So quickly after the release of your album?

 We are in Nigeria, the music industry has really changed; if you dull, it dulls on you, so we just have to meet up.

 Tell us more about the upcoming Visuals, which videos should we expect?

 O’ set is dropping soon and ‘Authentic’ ft Flavour will follow, after which [I’ll do] ‘Icholia’ ft Ice Prince & MI. Then I might shoot ‘Chibuzor’ and ‘Chukwu Na Enye’ ft Omawumi.

 What about the song ‘Good die Young’?

 Fans are expecting me to do a visual on it, but how am I supposed to express my feelings in the video? I will if I can, but the expression is just the P.

 There have been a lot of Igbo rappers, but how does it make you feel to have taken indigenous rap to another level?

 First of all, I like this question. There have been a lot of Igbo rappers before me, meaning if they ain’t there I won’t be here; they lifted it up to somewhere for me to carry on. It’s just like a ladder from the pioneers – the likes of Mr. Raw and Mc Loph to me right now and to whomever is taking over. Shout out to them all

 There was news about you and Olamide making a joint album. What’s the update on that?


 We are still on it, but it’s pending for now because of my album. He allowed me to push my album because I will have to shoot videos. He also signed new artistes (Lil Kesh and Vicktor) and he is pushing them as well, but the album will be released.... 

Phyno and Olamide at Star Trek event


Why do you think the chemistry works so well with you and Olamide in music? 

 It was just natural. We just had to discover each other and work better together

 Tell us about Illbliss , the whole Capital crew and their influence on your career?


 Illbliss is a big bro to me and Capital is a family to me. I own Penthouse Music and I’m in collaboration with Putney records. The same manager that manages Capital records manages me as well.... 


No comments: