BLIND CORPS MEMBER NEEDS N10M TO REGAIN SIGHT

Gbenga Akinbolade
Gbenga Akinbolade, a corps member, has been visually-impaired for 20 years, but his disability has not prevented him from graduating from a university. He has also helped other physically challenged people, especially at his alma mater, the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akoko, Ondo State. He told The SOURCE that he had produced an album and trained no fewer than 500 visually- impaired persons on how to use a software he discovered from Google, which could ease the stress and challenges associated with visual impairment. Besides, he had organised
an academic summit where blind people were taught how to develop confidence in their academics. According to him, he used the proceeds from the summit to purchase computers and generators used in halls meant for visually impaired students in the university.

Twenty-seven-year-old Akinbolade, who hails from Ondo State, said he became visually impaired at the age of seven due to complications arising from meningitis.

Akinbolade said, “I am currently serving at the School for Special Needs, Apata, Yakuba, Ilorin, Kwara State capital. I became blind at seven years of age since 1984 because of meningitis. I was on admission in a private hospital, but was later discharged when I could not regain my sight.

“Before I became blind, I was in Primary Three. Because of it, I started again from Primary One at the Ondo State School for the Blind, Owo. In 2009, I finished primary school and got admission to the Owo High School, Ondo State.

“I graduated from there and I was admitted to the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akoko, Ondo State. I have been trying to cope. My mother has been footing all my bills and training me. My father had hypertension and later died because of my predicament. My widowed mother single-handedly trained and assisted me to graduate from the university in 2013.
“She is currently hypertensive and diabetic because of this unfortunate situation. “In April 2014, I visited another hospital because I felt there must be a solution. The doctor, who examined me, diagnosed my case as optic nerve damage and referred me to a Chinese hospital. According to the doctor, the Chinese have the best treatment for my type of ailment. “I later contacted the hospital and I got a medical report and a treatment plan from them. They said what was required was to use cell transplantation to repair the damaged cells for me to be okay within a month.”

Appealing to the federal and state governments as well as well meaning Nigerians to come to his aid, Akinbolade said he needed N10m to seek medical attention overseas.

According to him, the restoration of his sight would give him the opportunity to contribute more meaningfully to the well being of the society.

He stressed, “The medical bill, transportation and other incidental expenses of mine and that of the person that will accompany me to China for the medical treatment is about N10m.

“I can be reached through this telephone number 07038863128; while donations could be made to my bank account:

Akinbolade Gbenga Segun

Union Bank

Account number: 0002398854.”

A medical report/referral letter from Dr. Omolase C.O., a consultant ophthalmologist from the Federal Medical Centre, Owo, Ondo State, addressed to the Medical Director, Home Hope Hospital, Hong Kong, China, dated April 28, 2014, states,

“Akinbolade, Gbenga is a 27-year-old male university graduate who was presented in our clinic two weeks ago on account of inability to see.

“This was preceded by an episode of fever, neck stiffness and unconsciousness that suggested bacterial meningitis.

“Ocular examination revealed an entry visual acuity of light perception and Hand Movement, Mild Exotropia and bilateral uniformly pale optic disc.

“A provisional diagnosis of Bilateral Optic Atrophy secondary to Bacterial Meningitis was made.”

Mr. Simon Lee, who is a director at the International Department of the Zhuhai LuDa Hospital, China (Zhuhai Hope Hospital in Zhuhai City, China), said Akinbolade would be admitted as an in-patient at the health facility.

He added that the patient would undergo treatment for three weeks in the hospital, where he would receive a course of stem cell treatment to correct the optic nerve damage.

No comments: