TOPNOTCH: IDÚMÓTÀ

The morning was inviting as the sun merely shines and was not in the mood to scorch. I sent my form order score to the class coordinator and packed my bags set to go on a journey that will make my life different. Struggling with four different bags, I wriggled my way to the school gate, submitted my bags for thorough searching and humbly informed the security men that I was on leave. 

I left the Angelic white gates of Atlantic Hall into the naked town of Poka. The snake like road guarded at both ends by weeds that stung like thorns. In no time, I was at the Epe-Ijebu Ode road as I needed to use
First Bank Epe for a reason best known to me. The road was a death trap and I couldn’t but thank Danbaba Danfulani Suntai – the Governor of Taraba State because Jalingo is a paradise when compared with Epe that hasn’t seen electricity in the last one year. In Epe, power isn’t erratic; it is not just there.

After I completed my transaction at the bank that is seen as haven for thieves, I observed a conversation between the branch manager and one of the security officials. The locals – Epe omo oniles were demanding for ‘owo wa’- our money. I knew the language quite well and was acquainted with the fact that they didn’t work for that money. A thug said their money will no longer be N 300,000 from the following month but will increase to N 350, 000. He said that they were the ones responsible for the security of the banks in the area. The branch manager pleaded that he had given their money to their boss – Iku Dudu, but the others whined and warned that this educated man in his mid-forties should not repeat such an action in the future. 

I thought of the branch manager’s timidity as I journeyed from Epe down to Ibeju through Ajah to Idumota. ‘Ohun lo go’ – the branch manager is the fool. I combed Idumota to get my groom men’s tie and that of myself. In forty eight hours, I will be someone else’s property and she will be free to touch me as she likes and when she likes.
I was heading out of Idumota with all the things for my wedding when I got to a point with sea of heads at Idumota. A young man accosted me and told me that Lagos State Government was giving free gifts to ameliorate poverty. I walked off him. I knew that nothing can be free in Lagos. Another person picked the lottery form and was asked to tick seven times. I was asked to try – no pain, no gain. I was not interested and I ticked eight times, but I wasn’t disqualified. I was told that I won a generator set. ‘Whaoh! My first night after wedding will be with power, and we can enjoy the fullness of bodily pleasure – I forgot I didn’t have a fan since there had not been power in Epe for ages.’ 


The young man looked me in the face and asked me if I wanted to pick it up or sell it off. I said I wanted to pick it up. He asked me to pay N 1, 000 for receipt and I did. Another winner sold his electric fan and paid three thousand for receipt and collected his cash of N 8, 000.
He told me again if you sell it, you will bring N 18,000 and we will give you N 32, 000. I suspected something finicky. This was the popular ‘I beta pass my neighbor’ that shouldn't be more than N 10, 000.

I opted to leave the money with them when I saw two hefty men in the bus. The young man urged me to move closer to the vehicle, but I was unwilling as I thought he will drag me into the bus. I took a bold step and chose to walk away, but the young man in no time, informed others that I wanted to walk away. About four men encapsulated me and said they will start beating me and calling me a thief if I refuse to give them all that I had.


I reasoned that it was just 48 hours to my wedding day; I imagined having a wedding picture with a battered face. I respected myself and parted with N 7,000. I walked away horridly and hurriedly imagining that I was duped in broad day light, in the busy street of Idumota. Had I not cooperated and they raised a false alarm and the passerby bought it – that I was a thief; maybe I would have been dead.
In my most confused state, I walked out of Idumota and headed toward the third mainland bridge, picked up a vehicle and headed for Ife. Thereafter to Okeho unscratched.

No comments: