THESE SUSPECTS HIJACKS N6.3M RICE AND SELL IT FOR N2.7M

The suspects
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a gang of armed robbers who allegedly hijacked a truck load of rice in the Iyana Oworo area of the state. source learnt that the suspects – Samuel Igwe and Kingsley Okorie – were nabbed by operatives of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad around the Third Mainland Bridge area. The police said they were arrested in the first week of December, 2014. It was learnt that the owner of the hijacked truck, Mr. Jerry, had initially reported the matter at the Iyana Oworo Police Division.


 According to the police, the truck, with registration number, ABD 35 XA, was heading for Ughelli, Delta State before it was hijacked by the suspects. The police further revealed that the truck conveyed 600 bags of rice valued at N6.3m. The police later found the hijacked truck abandoned on Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway, Sango, Ogun State, while the suspects were traced to a hideout in the area where they were arrested. It was gathered that the three persons inside the truck, when it was hijacked, were abandoned and dumped in the bush by the suspects. Speaking with source, 38-year-old Okorie from Owerri, Imo State, said they were a six-man gang that carried out the operation, adding that they sold the truck load of rice for N2.7m. He said, “We were six in the gang, and we planned the operation in a house in the Abule Egba area. One man we simply call ‘Papa’ is our leader. He also got a military uniform and wore it during the operation. I heard that the gang sold the truck to a buyer for N2.7m, but I was given only N40,000.

“I was a clothes seller in the Oshodi Market before I joined the gang. I regret going on the operation. At the end of the day, I was only given a little share. The others shared the rest.” Also, 39-year-old Igwe from Orlu, Imo State, said he was the one who found the customer for the hijacked truck, and he was given about N100,000 for the deal.

He said, “I was the one who provided the buyer. At the end of the transaction, I was paid N100,000. I was working as an electrician in the Alagbado area before I met the gang. “This is the first time I would provide a buyer for stolen goods. It was poverty that made me to involve myself in the operation.”

My source learnt that the goods were sold to two traders indentified simply as Akinnuwa and Shittu, who had also been arrested by the police. my source learnt that Igwe was released from custody for a similar case a few months ago. It was learnt that the police were still making efforts to arrest other fleeing members of the gang. The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Kenneth Nwosu, confirmed the arrest, adding that the suspects had been charged to court.

No comments: