NOW THAT YOU AREN'T 35 THESE ARE THE THINGS YOU MUST DO....

black-couple-1

So I was nearly thrown into a depression bout when the new CBN boss officially devalued the Naira. I had checked my BP (Blood Pressure) earlier in the day at the office and had a perfect 110/70 to the envy of many colleagues. But when around 5:30PM the husband called to tell me of the official Naira status, I nearly had a fit.... 

I thought of the loans we were servicing at the banks. Only two weeks back, I’d tried to make a payment to our hospital in the States but the transaction suffered a glitch hence the cash was put on hold by my Nigerian bank. In effect, the payment wasn’t made. How much would I have to add to make up the same amount of dollars? How much does our dollar debt now come to? So what is the real value of my current salary? What is the cost of our next vacation? My mind was calculating faster than my tablet: 190.5 x 418 x 12 = Holy God!??? If only we had bought our tickets . . . If only we had all (like there’s lots of it) our money stored in Dollars or Pounds. . . By now, my BP was racing backwards so I paused – this is not the time! And so I thought up a few things anyone should settle before hitting 35.... 

Make Money. Lots of it. If there’s no one calling you Mummy or Daddy yet, then blessed are you among men. If you have less than nine months to go or there’s already someone crawling up to you while you cook in the kitchen or type on your computer, sorry you aren’t in this class. For the blessed under 35s, this is the time to make money. Lots of it. As the cost of one loaf of sliced bread steadily approaches $2, I bet you that your Agege bread price will soon follow suit. And it doesn’t matter if garri is your favourite food, just know that you cannot force your cuisine on your unborn children.... 

Those babies coming around here (earth) these days come with a special taste bud that can detect ‘cheap’ and they have a customized digestive tract that only processes premium baby food. Think ‘premium’, think ‘money’. Thinking of the pending rise in the cost of diapers is enough to force you to half your meal and triple your efforts. Find that paying P.P.... 

Take up that weekend job. Start that consultancy. I’m sorry but unless your employer is ready to match the new exchange rate, take up that PP (Personal Project). Yes I said it, take up that side gig that will augment your income. Strike a deal with your H.R boss. Look for more flexible routines. If you can get same work done in three days, why be at the same office for 5 days. It’s time Nigerian bosses got rid of that ‘Clock in’ – ‘Clock Out’ mentality.... 

Working a job should be about productivity and not just presence. Except for jobs that render services in real time, nobody has any business working 8am – 5 or 6PM everyday. I passed on a lot of PPs during my young years at the newspaper newsroom where I worked as reporter and columnist. I had opportunities to become several artistes and organisations’ Publicist or Media Manager, but I always ALWAYS told them (asking clients) to call my colleagues – Seun Apara or Sam ‘Big Sam’ Olatunji. I was content just filling my pages. I never knew what saving up could save.... 

Party Less I know they say, ‘You Only Live Once’. I also know they say, ‘Work Hard Play Hard’. But my dear ‘every play wey carry money, make you think am twice’. It’s cool to hang out with friends. What is life without the people in our lives? It’s super cool to attend the events and roll with the celebs on the red, blue, black, yellow and green carpets. But it’s cooler to pay your rents on time, have savings for the rainy days and not develop high blood pressure in your prime. Until you know how much is enough, keep saving. A word is enough.... 


No comments: