LIFE HAS BEEB HELL FOR ME: VICTIM OF ALLEGED NIGERIAN POLICE BRUTALITY ......

Matthew-the-victimThey thought I was a cat with nine lives. The two shots that were fired at me did not kill me. One of them cocked his gun, hit it on the ground and released the shot that got me on the leg. Vanguardngr reports,They fled the scene, believing I was dead like my friend, ‘’Mr. Mathew Koseblinu, a victim of an alleged police brutality said. The incident took place on August 15, 2014, at Iyana-School Bus Stop in the outskirts of Lagos. It was gathered that the clash which disrupted
commercial activities in the area, claimed three lives while several others were injured.One of the victims was Koseblinu ‘s bosom friend identified as Laide. As a result of the incident, Koseblinu’s life has not been the same. He has continued to claim that he was shot by a police officer attached to Iyana Isashi Police Division.
How it happened
Narrating further, Koseblinu, who was born 24 years ago, said: ‘’I go to work when I have jobs. I fix tiles in people’s houses but on that day, I had no work that was why I stayed at home. I was at home when the trouble started between policemen and commercial motorcyclists. The clash was so intense.
Policemen from Isashi came and started seizing motorcycles from the riders. When the they resisted, the armed police men started shooting sporadically. When the shooting became too much, we ran away for safety.’’
“Unfortunately, my friend Laide was shot dead.   This made other commercial motorcyclists to take the corpse to the police station.
While they were proceeding to the station, lamenting the death of their colleague, a team of policemen blocked their way at Ile-Iwe Bus Stop.   This time, the attack on the protesters became more fierce and the protesters had to abandon the corpse on the road and ran away.’’
In addition, he said: ‘’After Laide’s corpse was abandoned on the ground, I went to drag him out of the road. It was in that process that I was shot by an officer attached to the division. Other officers kept shooting at the fleeing protesters. They also fired teargas. The first officer shot me twice but missed.
Then another one took the gun from that officer and shot me on the leg.   Life has not been the same for me since then. I was brought to this hospital for treatment two months ago and the cost of my treatment has become a burden for my parents.’’
Bone setter’s account
Corroborating, Koseblinu’s account, Mr. Iya Orobo, who is a traditional bone setter said:“There was uproar in the community the day he was brought here.
The police and commercial motorcycle riders had a serious clash that led to the death of several people, while the lucky ones like Koseblinu, sustained injuries from gunshot. I wasn’t at the scene of the incident so, I can’t say much about it but Koseblinu was brought here by an official of the local government council.
The person deposited N10,000 and pleaded with me to commence treatment.   But I refused because his injury was as a result of gunshot.
I usually distanced myself from treating customers with gunshot related injuries. The reason is because I don’t want issues with the police. I don’t want people to say that I harbor armed robbers.’’
Continuing, he said: ‘’When the Baale of his community and other notable people intervened , I began to treat him. When he was brought here, the bones were completely shattered, most people thought he had died, others said I have to amputate his leg because of the bad state of the leg, but by the grace of God, his leg is getting better.’’
Accordingly, he said: “The officers from Isashi Police Division usually come here for treatment when they have health related issues. I have treated so many of them without collecting a dime from them. I was surprised when they seized my private motorcycle. The same people that I helped when they had health issues or sustained injuries from accidents, seized my bike.’’
Tales of woe
“I am not the only one who has suffered in the hands of the officers, several people have lost their lives as a result of the excesses of the policemen.
A few months ago, a man committed suicide by hanging himself after the policemen impounded his motorcycle.
According to reports, he had collected a loan from LAPO to purchase the motorbike which was seized by the same officers, who confiscated three previous ones. As at the time he committed suicide, his wife was heavily pregnant.’’
“Last month the policemen from same division shot dead a driver at Cele Niger Bus Stop, along Badagry Expressway.
Their activities have become worrisome. If they can do this to an indigene of the community, imagine what they have been doing to others. We are calling on the new Commissioner of Police, Mr. Kayode Aderanti, to investigate the activities of officers from this division and call his men to order.’’

No comments: