CRIME: ‘I KNOW I'M DOING A WRONG THING BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF

AS every good Muslim was preparing towards the ongoing celebration of Eid-el-Kabir, which is marked by the killing of rams to commemorate the sacrifice made by Prophet Ibrahim to offer his son to God, a 20-year-old muslim, Ganiyu Ramon, who professes the Islamic religion had prepared to taint the worship of some of his fellow muslims, with the intention to sell stolen rams to them.

But before he could achieve his intention, he was arrested by vigilance group members via Saki, Oyo State and handed over to the police.
Before delving into stealing of rams, Crime Reports gathered that Ramon was a notorious member of a gang which specialized in stealing motorcycles from Lagos and bringing them to Kisi town for sale.
After his arrest, he was handed over to the operatives of Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Ibadan for investigations. The ram thief spoke with Crime Reports at SARS. The suspect said: “I am from Iseyin but I live in Kisi town, Oyo State. I am married with two children. I learnt barbing but I am yet to open a shop for the business. I used to work as driver’s assistant, following trucks to upload and offload goods.
“I did not steal the rams but I bought them from those who stole them because the price was lower than what obtains in the market. I started buying stolen rams this year. I bought them at Olooru village, a remote village in the outskirt of Kwara State.
“I was suspected of stealing the rams because I was once involved in selling stolen motorcycles and I was noted for it. I used to go to Lagos State to bring stolen okada to Kisi. We have some masters who were involved in this. My role then was to help them ride the motorcycle to Kisi and I was usually paid between N2,500 and N3,000.
“As we were doing this, some Islamic clerics noticed our activities and went to report us at the king’s palace. We were summoned to the palace and issued strict warning that we should desist from the criminal act. That was when I started working as a motor boy.
“I conceived an idea that selling stolen rams during this Eid-el-kabir would yield profit to me, so I disclosed my idea to some people I met at Olooru village when I followed a truck there to load farm produce. We exchanged phone numbers, with them promising to call me if they could lay their hands on some.
“When I called them, they asked me to come and they sold three for me at N50,000 each. I gave them the N90,000 I had with me, promising to bring back the balance. I got the N90,000 from selling a motorcycle that I had.”
Ramon admitted that his action was not good and unacceptable before God. “I pray five times daily but I know that what I am doing is wrong. All my actions are not from the depth of my heart. I am not happy about them Walahi. It was because I had nothing to fall back on that I went into crime. My parents are separated. I am determined to return to barbing if I am pardoned by the government.”
The story was confirmed by the Police Public Relations Officer, Olabisi Okuwobi-Ilobanafor, who said the rams had been released to the owners on bond, adding that the suspect would be charged to court after investigations.

No comments: