SURVIVORS OF BOKO HARAM ATTACKS NARRATE THIER ORDEAL

Some of the displaced persons from Bama at the NYSC Camp, Maiduguri… on Thursday
Many of the troubled residents, who narrated their close shave with death, revealed that they trekked more than 50 kilometers in order to get to safety in Maiduguri.
They were reported to have resorted to queuing to collect blankets, sleeping mats and other relief items at the National Youth Service Corps orientation camp in the state.

A resident, Mallam Bukar Gana narrated his experience with Saturday PUNCH saying: “We suffered a lot in the process of escaping from Bama and we had to trek several kilometers to reach Maiduguri. The journey took an entire day and night. I got to Maiduguri the following day. I have seven children but I was able to escape with only two. Right now, I do not know the whereabouts of the rest of my children and their mother.
“Though they provide food for us at the camp, I have not been able to eat like several other people here because we are presently suffering psychological trauma. We are concerned about the fate of the rest of our families and friends whom we are still searching for and do not know whether they are trapped in Bama or have been killed.”
“We heard deafening gunshots and it was as if the heaven was about falling on us. We could no longer stay indoors, we were afraid the danger was going to swallow us up. But miraculously we found the courage to run and escape in any direction available just to get to Maiduguri where we feel we could be a lot safer,” Gana said.
Another victim 25-year-old Tijjani Mamman, 25 said: “We initially thought the insurgents were soldiers deployed in Bama barracks because they were fully kitted in military camouflage and vehicles. When they reached the barracks, they started shooting sporadically to scare the military men away and when we saw this we knew the town was in danger. We had to run into the bush to save our lives.
“We had to trek from Bama to Kawuri before we were able to board a vehicle to Maiduguri. As we speak, I do not know what might have happened to my parents back in Bama. I am only praying and hoping that they are safe wherever they are right now,” he said.
A 42-year-old woman, Kellu Kachallah, also shared her horrible experience saying: “We passed through hell getting out of the town with our children.
“It was hectic especially trekking all the way to Kawuri for several hours with little children before finally squeezing ourselves with others in a vehicle to Maiduguri. As I am talking to you, I am still feeling pains all over my body as a result of all we went through these past few days.
“I do not pray to see what I saw in Bama in my life time again. The terrorists came in hundreds with sophisticated weapons and started shooting in every direction. They succeeded in scaring the security men away before taking their weapons. It was like a war scene. I still cannot believe I am alive and truly escaped from that place.”
SOURCE: NAIJ.COM

No comments: